Friday, April 11, 2014

Week seven homework

This week the homework changed on Thursday so I only had two days. I decided to do Homework no. 3 which was Make a book cover for a Korean book.

I have so far only read two books by Korean authors.
They were both very good but my favorite was the one I decided to make a new cover for, and that book is...Please look after mother by Shin Kyung Sook!
Here is the original cover (The one I know and read):


The story is mostly set in Second Person which gives it a dreamy atmosphere, but it also changes characters (which seems to be popular in Korean books as the other one did the same) and I can't really remember if it stayed in Second person the whole way.
The basic plot line is a mother (her children are already grown up so more of an ajumma haha) who (I think she starts to forget things a bit...) goes to Seoul with her husband to see her children and on the subway he(her husband) looses her. It then follows her children as they try to find her.
There is a pit in the book where "You" or her daughter does to hand out fliers but people mostly just walk past, there was a lot of feeling in that part and so I thought it would be a good image to illustrate the book. I drew a woman handing fliers out, and then I thought i could print out people and make a sort of collage; it didn't exactly work so as I was thinking of what to do next I remembered another part where the mother/old lay herself is sitting in a crowed and the people just walk past, That was what I tried to portray with my book cover.

Here is a picture of the collage I made followed by the edited "book cover" with a red and a blue version:





I'm still not sure which one I like more, but lets say blue what about you?
Till next time, XX kiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment